1. Listen to drummers.
2. Listen some more.
3. Savour the fundamentals of drumming.
- Stick control
4. Listen some more.
5, Seek out others on the same musical journey: bassists, guitarists, keyboardists. Learn to work in a musician's world early. We are friendly and excited to meet "Keener's".
6. As you discover drummers you like explore their discography. It will be online and easy to find.
7. Get to know the staff at your local music store. Over time, as they get to know you, they will introduce you to the community.
8. Solo Youtube videos are fun to watch. Chops, speed, and flash. I watch them too. Great if you play by yourself, but annoying if you play like this in a band. Remember musicians want time, groove and touch in that order. And, knowledge of repertoire.
9. Go do your drum homework. Think thousands of repetitions to security and spontaneity at the kit.
David Story, drummer, pianist, qualified online music teacher